- Buddypress (http://www.buddypress.org)
- Pligg (http://www.pligg.com/)
- Elgg (http://www.elgg.org/)
- LovdbyLess (http://lovdbyless.com/)
- Mixxt (http://www.mixxt.com/)
- Insoshi ( http://github.com/insoshi/insoshi)
- Xoops (http://www.xoops.org/)
- Community Engine (http://www.communityengine.org/)
- Astrospaces (http://sourceforge.net/projects/astrospaces/)
Ning is, of course, not the only platform for creating personalized and private social networks. This afternoon, many educators shared suggestions for alternatives via Twitter. Here are a few other free and open-source options.
Click in to find related links.