Skip to main contentdfsdf

Tom Johnson's List: Journalism Educationimport from google notebook

  • Jul 16, 13

    J-School Makeovers
    July 16, 2013
    By
    Lauren Ingeno

    Shelling out thousands of dollars for a master’s degree in journalism may seem illogical in 2013, as newsrooms continue to shrink at alarming rates. There are now less than 40,000 full-time professional employees working in newspaper newsrooms nationwide, compared to a peak of 56,900 in 1989, according to Pew's 2013 State of the Media report. It's the lowest number since 1978.

    In one attempt to respond, the University of Southern California’s Annenberg School for Communication and Journalism will do away with its two-year M.A. degree in journalism and replace it with a nine-month M.S. program beginning in 2014, the university announced this month. The new program coincides with the fall 2014 scheduled opening of the new Wallis Annenberg Hall — which will house a “digitally converged newsroom” where students can complete broadcast, print and online journalism projects in one space. The newsroom, as well as the pace and focus of the new program, will try to better-prepare students to work in a rapidly changing media landscape.

    Read more: http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2013/07/16/usc-announces-changes-its-journalism-masters-degree-program#ixzz2ZE5vU5Zh
    Inside Higher Ed

    • J-School Makeovers

        July 16, 2013

      By

[...]

  • Mar 27, 09

    Google Maps API Tutorial
    This tutorial is intended to help you create your own interactive maps using the Google API.

    Do take a look at the Google documentation.

    There are two ways to use this tutorial:

    1. Read it and try to understand the principles involved.
    2. Use the example files as templates. Paste the code into your own web page and change the API key and data. Read the "potential pitfalls" sections, and try to avoid them.

    Using the Google Map API is not easy if you don't have much Javascript experience.
    If you find the Google documentation too difficult to understand, it's not because it's badly written it's just that the subject is not easy.
    http://econym.org.uk/gmap